/ DESCRIPCIÓN DE LA ACTIVIDAD /
Located in the natural site of La Geria in Lanzarote, the century-old property is mentioned in historical documents from the sixteenth century.
Bodegas Rubicón is engaged in the production of quality wines and offers on site a wide and varied range of oenotouristic activities so you can better know the wines, the winery and its surroundings.
Open daily with a wine shop where you can taste the wines, a restaurant and a museum. Guided visits and tasting courses are offered.
The wines of the winery are granted awards each year at the most prestigious international contests, and are sold in Europe, America and Asia.
Guided visit with tasting
Free visits. Enjoy Bodegas Rubicón without restrictions or timetables, in a free and relaxed manner. Wander through the winery and old house, taste some wine or buy a handmade product in our Wine Shop. Enjoy lunch on our restaurant’s terrace with spectacular views over the vineyards of La Geria and the Timanfaya National Park. Bodegas Rubicón opens its facilities daily for the enjoyment of visitors and for free. Hours: Monday-Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 20:00 p.m.
Guided visits. Guided visit + tasting of 2 wines. Explore the valuable legacy of a winery that is more than three centuries old. Walk through our vineyards and learn in detail about our particular way of growing vines on volcanic ashes. Learn about the history of the property and its Sixteenth century ruins on which the house and the old winepress are now based: examples of traditional Canary Islands architecture. The visit ends with a tasting that includes two wines, cheese of the island and cake.
To learn about the history of Bodegas Rubicón we must go back to 1570, which is the date of the first written document preserved referring to the property. It provides details of the sale made by Marcos Verde, Justa Melián, Diego Vázquez and Margarita Ruiz of the Cortijo La Geria farmhouse to Reverend Luis de Bethancourt, who was then vicar and beneficiary of Lanzarote. The document provides a comprehensive description of the farmhouse and its rich heritage.
In the early Seventeenth century, the Cortijo de La Geria (Farmhouse) was one of the richest and most valued on the island of Lanzarote. At this time, it became the property of the archpriest Mr Diego Laguna, who in the late seventeenth century declared in his will his possessions inclued El Cortijo La Geria, which he had received as inheritance and exchange, where he had ordered the construction of the La Caridad chapel in 1698. At that time the farm had rooms, three units for farming equipment, tanks and mareta, and fields for producing wheat, barley and rye.
The soil fertility of La Geria before volcanic eruptions motivates much of the ownership to be concentrated in few hands, usually linked to the insular power group, and in particular related to the church, as in the case of Mr Diego Laguna, who owned other farmhouses in addition to that of La Geria. In those years, the grain fields formed the landscape of the area, the land was rich and produced fruit in abundance. No one imagined that hell would soon break loose in Timanfaya and that long years of volcanic eruptions (1730-1736) would devastate villages and fields modifying the landscape forever. These eruptions resulted in the loss of substantial real estate assets and one of the richest meadows of Lanzarote.
The Cortijo La Geria farmhouse was affected by the disaster from the start of the eruptions. The ashes covered it from September to December 1730, and in May 1731 it was completely covered. At the time, it was owned by Antonia Maria de Ocampo and Bustamante, niece and heiress of Mr Diego Laguna. A document dated 1731 refers to the recovery of the farmhouse: several rooms of the farmhouse, including the La Caridad chapel, were cleared of the ash that buried them. Years later the land was reused by planting vineyards and became fertile again. This represented one of the main causes for the economic revival of the island, with the cultivation of soils covered by volcanic sands, although in certain fields of La Geria this did not happen until several decades later as evidenced by a document from 1769. It was during the Eighteenth century when the expansion of the farmhouse occurred, adding the winery to accommodate new grape harvests and an adjoining mansion. La Geria and its surroundings became the most important wine producing area of Lanzarote in the Eighteenth century, this condition lasting over time until today.
The Fajardo-Spínola family was related with the Cortijo La Geria farmhouse since the late Eighteenth century. The property remained in the hands of this family and its heirs until well into the Twentieth century. It was in 1979 when Mr Germán López Figueras, the current owner, bought it from Ms Dolores Fajardo. This is when the new phase began to restore the splendour of the old farmhouse. Asleep for decades, it opened its doors to the public with the desire to make all participate in a piece of the history of Lanzarote.
/ CONTACT /
35570 La Geria, Lanzarote
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Islas Canarias.
Tel: +34 928 17 37 08